LAPD Arrests 3 Connected To Killing Of Man Set Afire At Joshua Tree Dry Lake

An investigation initiated by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department and completed by the Los Angeles Police Department after a burned body turned up in a dry lake bed in Joshua Tree earlier this month has led to the arrest of three people believed to have murdered a 72-year-old Marina del Rey man in an effort to appropriate his $2.6 million home.
On August 16, a 911 call that came in at 8:49 a.m. alerted sheriff’s deputies about a body discovered in the area near Sunway Road and Rosehedge Avenue, a few blocks east of Sunfair Road.
“Based on evidence at the scene, detectives from the sheriff’s department homicide division responded and assumed the investigation,” according to the sheriff’s department.
After the body was determined to be that of William Webb, 72, of Marina del Rey, San Bernardino County handed the investigation over to the Los Angeles Police Department’s West Bureau homicide division.
In relatively short order, Los Angeles Police Department investigators connected the circumstances relating to William Webb to 44-year-old Haena Kealia Worthing, of Marina Del Rey. In June, Webb had sought a restraining order against Worthing, who was described variously as Webb’s “stepdaughter” and “former stepdaughter.” According to Webb’s court filing, Worthing had threatened him and had stolen documents relating to the title and sale of his house.
It was ascertained that Webb had expired from a severe beating by a heavy object.
Upon further investigation, the police department identified Worthing, 44; John Schiefer, 38 of Nipomo, and Shavonne Webster, 40 of Winchester, Indiana, as having been in contact with Webb in the days before his mid-August disappearance. Working with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, homicide detectives obtained arrest warrants for Worthing, Schiefer and Webster.
According to affidavits filed in conjunction with the warrants, Schiefer and Webster were renting a room at Webb’s Marina del Rey residence.
Available information is that Webb’s wife and Worthing were opposed to Webb’s stated intention to sell his upscale house.
According to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, Worthing, Schiefer and Webster participated together in bludgeoning Webb to death using a hammer on August 15. His body was then driven 153 miles eastward, where it was set afire.
Webb’s wife had reported him missing on August 16.
Schiefer and Webster were arrested August 21. Over the next several days, the Los Angeles Police Department carried out repeated and thorough searches of Webb’s house. Worthing was arrested on August 26.
Schiefer, Worthing and Webster are being held in Los Angeles County custody in lieu of $2 million bail each.
They are next scheduled for court appearances on September 9 and September 19.

Leave a Reply